The Parker Museum is an excellent example of the arts-and-crafts style of architecture, featuring quarter sawn oak woodwork, colonnades with stained glass, leaded glass china closets, six-over-three windows, Steuben glass light fixtures etched with an Art Nouveau pattern and a porte cochere. The house was built in 1916 for the Roy Webb family. Webb was well known for his cattle, horse and swine breeding stock and also served as the first President of the Clay County Fair Association. In 1928, James E. Parker and Cordelia Parker purchased the house and it was their home until 1969.
Parker Historical Society of Clay County came to be when James and Cordelia offered their home to be used as a museum to honor the brave pioneers who endured many hardships settling the treeless prairies of Clay County. The historical society was incorporated in March 1960, and initially offered exhibits in a house a block west of the current Parker Museum. The museum opened in the Parker house at 300 E. 3rd Street in 1971.
Today we share the stories of the Webb and Parker families as examples of life in Clay County during the early to mid-20th century.
Parker Museum: 300 East Third Street, Spencer, Iowa 51301
Open by appointment. Please call 712-262-3304